Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Chair Affair 2009

For the past few years I have participated in a fantastic fundraising event called The Chair Affair. It benefits The Community Warehouse which is an organization here in Portland that collects donated household goods then distributes them to families in need. Over 80 local artists take old chairs and turn them into works of art which are later auctioned off to the highest bidder. The event raises thousands of dollars for this amazing organization.

The chairs will be on display at two galleries in the Pearl District for First Thursday this week. I will be at Anka Gallery along with my chair - come on by and say hi! This is my third year participating and I think this chair is by far my favorite. Scroll down to see photos of this year's chair.

First Thursday - Chair Affair Preview Shows
Thursday, April 2nd - 6 to 9 pm

at Anka Gallery - 325 NW 6th
and PH Reed - NW 11th + Glisan

The Chair Affair Auction will take place on Thursday, April 23rd
Go to their website to view the chairs and to buy tickets.



Here is my chair before...


...and here it is after.






Inspired by vintage side show banners, I used hand embroidery and applique to create a tattooed lady in all her splendor! My past two chairs were done by combining screen printing and top stitching but this year I really wanted to do something different. It came out even better than I had imagined. Especially after the old lady at Fabric Depot scolded me and told me I could not applique the way I was planning (not folding edges under). I showed her! I love it so much that I may be bidding on it and bringing it home! Crazy but true.



















2 comments:

adrienne said...

oh. my. god. that. is. so. fabulous!

Jobs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.